Re: [Mgs] Coil resistance for Lucas 25D

To: William Killeffer <wkilleffer@epbfi.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Coil resistance for Lucas 25D
From: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 16:55:27 -0500
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
William,

The primary should either show a very low resistance or the resistance
of the ballast resistor. I think that the 5.6ohm measurement indicates
an internal ballast. So, the question is, does your car have an
external ballast resistor?

The secondary of an ignition coil may show infinite resistance with a
meter, and still work. This is because when they made these coils
originally, they allowed 3 breaks in the secondary when winding. The
secondary has a thin insulating layer, which is sufficiently thin that
it will break down when operating, allowing current to pass. When the
wire broke during the winding process, they twisted the ends together
and continued.

The coil may well be OK.

Simon