mini-baja

Midwest Fees

To: <mini-baja@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midwest Fees
From: "JC Hacker" <jchacker@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:13:22 -0500
Gentlemen,

I make it a practice to not become involved in this email service, because it
is unofficial and is essentially "yours".

However, I respond now because of misinformation which has a direct bearing
about how you might feel about our event (Midwest). You appreciation of this
event is the sum total of the Dayton Section's return for its efforts.

Following is a "cut and paste" reply to a team from last week.  The essence is
that many teams are not watching the website for updates, and are asking about
an issue which we have already addressed there.

"Glad to see that you're taking a look at the web site occasionally.  We've
tried very hard to be sure the teams are kept informed, and to let them know
the importance of keeping up with the site.
"We are very sensitive to the costs involved in participating.  We're aware
that when all the preparation work is done, you still have to pay to transport
team members to the event, feed them and provide a place to sleep. I encourage
you very strongly to go back to the web site and read my latest Chairman's
letter, dated well before your note to me.  You will find a significant
reduction in the per member cost, along with an increased allowance for the
number of members.  These changes came about as a result of positive early
registration which allowed us more "predictability" for our budget, and were
driven by our desire to treat the team members as well as is possible."

Please remember that our organizing group (the Dayton Section of SAE) is 100%
volunteers, and our complete motivation for staying involved is that we are so
impressed with the quality of young people who participate and our belief in
the value of the program to them.

For the record, the original $40 was based on fees assessed at one of last
year's events.  Your enthusiastic early sign-up has allowed us to budget more
accurately for our fixed expenses; the (improved) revised extra fees are a
budgetary requirement for fair sharing of variable costs between the huge
teams and those of more typical size.

"I honestly appreciate your inquiry.  It is only through open communication,
(the permission to address issues and even complain if merited) that we can
know what is important to you."  Simply put, this line says we care about what
is important to you, and are much more willing to listen and consider your
positions than you may imagine.

Looking Forward to Seeing You in Troy,

JC Hacker, Chairman

SAE Midwest Mini Baja