mini-baja

Check Valve

To: <mini-baja@autox.team.net>
Subject: Check Valve
From: "Adam Coombs" <0agc1@qlink.queensu.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:23:56 -0500
Sorry to bother everyone,

Just wanted to know if people had found a good check valve for use in the gas
cap of the fuel tank?

The rule states: 35.2.1 Fuel Tank Vent
The fuel tank shall incorporate a vent, and shall be designed to prevent fuel
spillage in the event of a rollover. a) a check valve in the fuel cap that
prevents fuel from leaking in a rollover or the car being on its side or, b) a
vent line routed above the tank assembly and extend beyond the lateral edges
of the tank before extending down to the bottom of the car. The vent tube is
to be mounted to the tank (not the filler cap).

We have always run the vent line, but I think the check valve would be a lot
less work. I am having trouble finding one that would be able to tighten into
a hole in the cap and seal well.

Thanks!

Adam Coombs
Manager, Queen's University SAE Mini-Baja Racing
Email: minibaja@engsoc.queensu.ca