mini-baja

Re: Brake Bias Mechanism

To: Peter Tennessen <p-tennessen@northwestern.edu>
Subject: Re: Brake Bias Mechanism
From: Sam Drake <drake@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:23:52 -0600 (MDT)
On Thu, 12 May 2005, Peter Tennessen wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> We've recently converted our mini-baja car's brake system from single to
> dual master cylinder.  This means that we're going to need a way to
> adjust the bias between the two.  Do you know of a good way to do this?
> Is there a product out there or a simple mechanism to build?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Look at the brake balance bar not the proportioning valve that Wilwood
makes.  You can also get this with an adjustment knob but it is probably
not needed for Mini-Baja.  This is a standard setup for racing vehicles
including NASCAR, IRL, etc. so they can adjust the brakes as the fuel load
burns off or the traction changes during the race.

If you ever wondered how they manage to make those impressive burnouts
at the end of race on NASCAR, they are probably turning the balance bar
all the way to favor the front brakes, then standing on the brakes and the
throttle.

Sam Drake
University of Utah