1980 4/4

To: Morgans <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1980 4/4
From: "Robert D. Coviello" <70354.523@compuserve.com>
Date: 25 Mar 97 23:38:08 EST
All,

I have a 1980 Propane Fink Turbo 4/4 that smokes with only 12,000 miles on the
clock that I believe is the correct milage due to the non-worn original Michelin
XAS tires and other clues. It only smokes when warm, and then not every time.
The exaust has a strange odor like wet twigs smoldering on a campfire (even with
no smoke). Is this a consequence of the propane? I have smelled exaust from
propane fork lifts etc. and they don't smell this way.

I have not pulled the valve cover, but what I can see through the oil filler
looks like an absolutely new engine (due, no doubt to the clean combustion of
propane) so I have a difficult time believing that the valve guides or rings are
shot.

The turbo unit has been rebuilt 3 times by the former owner (in the hopes the
smoke was from that unit). Obviously I need to get into the engine, but on the
off chance anyone else has seen this problem I'd thought I'd ask.

Also, anyone know of more Turbo 4/4s?

Thanks,
Bob