Re: Nails, tacks, or screws?

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Nails, tacks, or screws?
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 17:05:56 -0500
At 03:27 PM 3/31/97 -0500, Bill Yarborough wrote:

> I am in the final (yeah, right!) stages of a 4-year ground up
> restoration of my 1961 +4....'
>
> Now I'm ready to attach the rear panel to the wood along the back
> and the firewall to the wood at the front.  My question is, what is
> the best/right fastener to use here?  There are no holes yet in the
> edge of the firewall or the rear panel, and I plan to use a punch
> to make them neatly rather than drilling them.  When I disammbled
> this car in the spring of 1993, these locations were attached with
> a variety of screws of different materials and sizes and tacks.
> I'm leaning toward brass screws, but there must be a good reason why
> that's not what was used before.  Advice??!!

Bill,

  Don't know why the factory used nail [ecusion pins - (sp)].  I think
that they were very cheap and easily installed.  However, they are
a real pain to get out.  So if you ever need to take the rear deck
off, you'd like it to be fairly easy.  When I restored my car I used
the smallest screws I could find instead of the nails.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!