Re: gap between body and chassis?

To: David & Pat <pdburket@intrepid.net>,
Subject: Re: gap between body and chassis?
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 97 22:45:04 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

David;
Sounds like you have a common old problem on a new car. The Chassis rails
should be straight from front to back ( with the exception of the  cut out
for the axle) .  Most older Morgans suffer from the chassis  flipping up
from the rear axle back.
Since you haven't driven the car I would think it has to be the body thats
changed.  For a quarter inch gap I think I'd   put the body on and add
weight over the gap for a week or so and hold my breath .

Bob Nogueira

> Date: Sunday, 30-Mar-97 10:14 PM
>
> From: David & Pat              \ Internet:    (pdburket@intrepid.net)
> To:   MORGANS@autox.team.net   \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: gap between body and chassis?
>
> Dear Morganphiles,
>
> Got a problem and I hope some of you can help me out.  I am ready to mount
my
> Plus 4 body ( new from the factory) onto the chassis ( new from Morgan Fab
).
> The difficulty is a gap just over 1/4" between the bodyframe's seal board
and
> the chassis in the area by both shock towers.   Last summer I did a trial
fit
> of the body.  At that time there was NO problem with fit in this area.
>
> The chassis has been on jack stands during the past six months and the
body sat
> on trestles.  this may have caused my problem.  I have tried using c-
clamps in
> the door opening area to press the body frame to the chassis, but to no
avail.
>  If carriage bolts are used at this time to press the body to chassis,
the
> wheel arches could possibly pull away from both seal boards.
>
> I tried moving the  jack stands to different points at the rear of the
chassis,
> both under and in front of the rear axle, no luck!  I then lowered the
chassis
> back onto its' wheels, the gap remained.  None of these measures seem to
work.

> Could the chassis simply be pulled out of shape due to the long stint on
jack
> stands and it will  eventually settle back into shape?
>
> If anyone out there has experinced this problem or if anyone knows what
the fix
> is, I would be very interested in hearing from you.
>
> I understand that things don't necessarly fit on Morgan, but this is a
little
> much!
>
> Fustrated,
>
> David