Re: Radiator supports

To: smanwell@xenergy.com
Subject: Re: Radiator supports
From: GOTom@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:13:36 -0400 (EDT)

<< You ask about the rear mount for the bonnet hinge.  The cutout in the cowl
sheet metal that you describe is indeed original.  I had the same question as
whether the cut out should be filled with a peice of metal on my car.  The
rear brass hinge bracket should be screwed to the top front wood rail  under
the cowl sheet metal.  This leaves a gap between the bracket and the sheet
metal. >>

Well I'll be darned.  I had looked at 60+ models and thet (all 3) had slight
variations of the metal recessed in this location but no cut out.  Sounds
logical that, on the older versions, tin smithing might not have been that
advanced to make such a platform for the hinge.  The wood frame and skin are
at the body shop getting a new foundation (holes filled and primered) and I
think I will have them put a 1/16 +- plate accross this space and blend it in
to look like part of the cowal then I will make a cut out in the wood frame
to accomodate the plate.  This wont take much off the wood but it will stop
up a source of water leaks thus giving better protection to the interior.
 The old wood had some rot in this area so guess it is a potential problem. I
have decided in putting this back together it wont be all orgional anyway so
the small improvements to add stability and life to the wood are worth the
effort.  I even took John's lead and epoxeyed the wood with the "west system"
stuff.

<<My project is also a long term frame-up restoration, though I'm not as far
along as you.  I assembled the body on the chassis frame and had the metal
work and priming done on most of the sheet metal which is mostly original.  I
still have to make the door skins and the panel that goes just behind them.
 The body is currently apart while I build up the mechanical stuff.   I've
rebuilt the gearbox, had the bellhousing sleeved, and I'm currently building
up the engine.  It seems like most of the engine is new except for the block,
head and crank.  I've also had it balanced.  The front
suspension is in place on a new subframe which is bolted to a new chassis
with a new firewall sitting on it.  I started to put new bearings in the rear
end and discovered that the pinion gear had some rust pits in it.  So, I'm
shooting for getting a running chassis together.  I've had the car since '83
or '84, but I'm determined to get it together before
the new millenium! >>

Seems that we are on about the same tract here.  I have had mine since 1974.
 I drove it home.  It appeared to be in pretty good shape but with an
overheating problem.  The radiator was rotted out but this didn't solve the
problem.  Grey oil gave me the clue and sure enough a cracked head was found.
 This started a long process of partial restoration where it just mostly just
set.  Finally in 1990 I found a guy (fairly recent to EP)  who had grown up
around British cars and spoke the langague and he agreed to help me with a
frame up. He has since left EP but he got me over the hump and to where I can
manage the rest myself.  Fortunately the transmission and rear end are ok (I
think).  The clutch and engine were rebuilt similar to what you have done.
 The skin and doors were in pretty good condition as was the wood frame but
it was one of those cases where it made more sense to do it all rather than
cover up potential problems with new upholstery and paint.

And where do you stop.  After picturing in the minds eye this beautiful
machine so loveingly restored I decided that the radiator (actually the
chrome cowal) was too dinged up and groady to lead the way down the road
(although the radiator part is ok).  After many phone calls and several
offers of restoration I contacted the factory (on an unrelated problem) and
they built me a new one for 1/3 the price I had been quoted on partial
restorations.  It looked so good I was tempted to toss the car and mount the
radiator over the fireplace.  So, here I are.............

Tom, what are you doing for a top and tonneau cover?  Do you have old ones
for patterns?  >>

My ignorance is showing here as I am not really sure what the tonneau cover
is.  If it is a boot cover to cover the top when it is down I do not have
one.  I do have the top although I has never (in my life) been on.  It was in
good condition when I got it and has been storred in the attic.  Hopefully
dry rot hasn't gotten it.  I will check it out.  At least it can be used for
a pattern.  When yould you need a pattern?

Tom
53 Flat Rad