Measurment Details of Jackshaft

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Measurment Details of Jackshaft
From: Fred_H._Birkbeck@ieaust.org.au (Fred H. Birkbeck)
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 19:39:21 +1000
Hi,

Question related to a 1951 Plus 4, Vanguard engine model.

Can somebody please give me the approximate measurements of the spigot on t=
he front of the engine/gearbox jackshaft (the spigot fits into the bronze b=
ushing on the rear of the engine crankshaft).  The jack shaft fits between =
the engine and remote gearbox.

I would like to know spigot diameter and length (relative to the edge of th=
e clutch plate splines machined on the jackshaft).

I have been having vibration problems in the clutch area when the clutch pe=
dal is depressed.  I have replaced the Clutch Thrust Block, rebushed the cl=
utch alloy bell-housing and rebushed all clutch linkage levers in the past =
and know these are all OK.

On pulling the jack shaft out (a full engine/gearbox removal....)  I find t=
he jackshaft spigot has been bent and has been  =22flogging=22 from side to=
 side in the bronze bush and has worn the bush oval.

The jack shaft spigot on my car appears to have been damaged at some time i=
n the past and someone has installed a threaded spigot into the jackshaft w=
hich is slightly off-centre.  The spigot  looks like it has been turned dow=
n to about 3/8=22 diameter and I suspect this is far too small in diameter.=

My plan is to machine a hole in the jackshaft, turn up a new spigot and ass=
emble with interference fit and pinning.  If anyone with fitting experience=
 would like to comment I would be interested in your opinion?

I believe a spigot should be more like 5/8=22 in diameter.

Any  assistance or comments would be gratefully accepted.

Best regards,  Fred Birkbeck.=20