RE: Tire/tyre Pressure and Axle Crabs

To: "Morgans@autox.team.net" <Morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Tire/tyre Pressure and Axle Crabs
From: Simon J Orebi Gann <simonog@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 23:27:51 +0100
In my +8 which I race (the youngest car in the race series here in the =
UK - 1989 - makes up for the driver a bit) I use 32 front and 30 rear in =
the dry.  In the wet, I use 28 front, 26 rear.

These are much higher than the recommended road pressures.

The reason is that the road pressures are a compromise between ride =
comfort (bouncy tyres) and cornering.  When you corner fast, the tyre =
rolls a bit onto its sidewall.  This loses grip.  By blowing the tyre up =
more, you get a more rigid sidewall and it therefore stays vertical and =
that improves the grip.

In the wet, you need more straight rubber on the road, hence dropping =
the pressures a bit.

My car is very sensitive to the tyre pressures.  It makes seconds a lap =
difference to have the tyres as described.  If they are unbalanced, it =
corners less well, with either front or rear breaking free first.  You =
really want them both to go at the same time (a "balanced" car).  Then =
the car feels really great to drive!

Most of the racers use a Panhard rod.  Our best Morgan dealers (eg Rick =
Bourne at Brands Hatch or Rob Wells at Libra Motiv) fit them.  my car is =
one of the few without: my fuel tank has the fuel outlet in just the =
place the rod would connect to the axle (outlet holes all made by hand =
wherever they feel like punching a hole!), and I couldn't face buying a =
new tank.