+8 Throttle springs

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: +8 Throttle springs
From: "Gary L. Kneisley" <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 18:41:06 -0400
Fellow +8'ers....

Since taking delivery of my 1991 +8 a month ago I've noticed a very stiff
throttle requiring heavy pressure to make the car go.  The throttle linkage
on the fuel injected Rover 3.9 liter engine appears to be controlled by two
parallel springs.  I assume there are two springs as a safety measure in the
event one breaks to prevent a wide open accelerator.

In the picture on page 113 of John Worrall and Liz Turner's book, Original
Morgan, it shows two similar black springs, one on either side of a brass
like assembly.  On my car one spring is smaller in diameter and bright
metal, the other black as in the picture.  This leads me to believe the
bright metal spring is a replacement, and not to original spec.

I could simply remove it and drive with one spring and an easier throttle,
but that seems unwise.  Does anyone know what the specifications of  these
springs might be?  Length, diameter, strength?

Your help is appreciated, as always.

Thanks in advance

Gary
Grafton, OH