Re: MSCC & small is beautiful

To: "Vodden, Dave" <Dave.Vodden@Telematics.com>
Subject: Re: MSCC & small is beautiful
From: Fred Kuzyk <msccc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 16:58:54 -0700
Vodden, Dave wrote:

> While MSCC is a large organisation, many of the centres operate on this
> basis.  between 2 and 20 people gather once or twice a month in a pub
> somewhere and arrange small events.  Many registered members do not
> participate, but we are always pleased to see a new face or two.
>
> Dave Vodden
> 1992 Plus 4 4 Seater
> Hampshire UK
>  ----------
> From: morgans-owner
> To: msccc; morgans
> Subject: Re: Remember When?
> Date: Thursday 31 July 1997 21:53

Thanks Dave!
Our pub gatherings have a similar range but usually much less than 20
people. I agree that the MSCC although large has retained "small"
virtues & provides courtesy to others. We are proud of our MSCC
affiliation. Moreover, The MSCC has been quite helpful. We stage a
charity event in the Fall. Last year, "Miscellany" ran our flyer free of
charge. A MSCC couple were in our area, attended, took photos, & sent us
copies & a very nice letter inviting us to visit when in England! We
employed their snaps in an article on our event & Miscellany kindly
published it! A trip to the Morgan factory is on our "to do list" some
year, and we'd like to visit MSCC people. Some of our folk have attended
the MOG events your way & had a great time & wrote reports. One of our
local members is a Briton & MSCC member who has been living in Canada.
His Morgan remains in England (much to his daughter's joy as she is
"looking after it") while he drives a Miata to our outings. By the way,
the local Miata Club is an active & enthusiastic bunch. Their biggest
gripe is that they are excluded from a lot of events, as their cars are
too new. I have nothing against Japanese cars & I thought the Miatas
were a neat car when they were introduced. People forget, or maybe are
not aware, that there are new Morgans around. They too are inelligible
from attending some gatherings, as they are not 20 years old, whatever.
In fact, new Morgans (& others like Caterhams) have not been available
in Canada, due to government legislation & red tape! (Pity!) Anyway, the
Miatas can't attend, say the local cruise night (Unfortunate!), the
newer Morgans might be able to get away with it - if they lie about the
year of the vehicle (Tragic!). Yes, we need to worry about government
intervention on the hobby, but we also have to be concerned about what
we ourselves as hobbyists do to segregate, separate & squash enthusiasm
in the hobby! Our solution was to invite the Miata Club to participate
in our British Car Toy Run. It's a start. We managed to get a British
Car Class at the local charity show for cancer. Now if we can only get
the newer cars, like Morgans, to be able to participate legally in this
"20 year or older" rule show. Better to address a problem than go away
muttering "I'll never go back there again". Sorry for digressing! The
MSCC & its chapters are OK by me.

-Fred Kuzyk
MSCCC