Trips to Morgan Works, etc.

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Trips to Morgan Works, etc.
From: ebrown@ms.com
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 16:22:09 -0500
     In reading my eemail from the morgan list, a number of notes inspired
     some thoughts and memories.

     (1) In October 1995 my wife, daughter and mother-in-law planned a trip
     to London and the Cotswolds. I joined them at the end of the London
     bit and we headed out to the countryside. While driving around (in a
     tintop) we came to a place called "Malvern View" just north of
     Cheltenham. After driving through this corner about five times, my
     ancient memory cells started firing and I dug out a map to see, some
     50 km in the distance, Malvern. I persuaded the girls to eschew a day
     of stile crossing and sheep farm schlepping (by that time it was
     pretty easy, we were all exhausted) and to take a day trip to Malvern.
     Called the Morgan factory, spoke to the lady there, and headed off.

     We (emphasis plural) had a hell of a nice time. Went through all the
     shops, talked to every body. My mother in law, to whom every body is
     "Honey" made fast friends in each shop. Watched some kid about 20
     dripping glue on bits of wood in a desultory but accurate fashion. We
     bought some stuff, my mother-in-law, without my knowing it, went back
     in and ordered this big Morgan calendar for 1996 as a surprise
     Christmas present for me. (My mother in law is very cool.) Had such a
     nice time. I felt guilty dragging these three off to the place, but
     they enjoyed it as much as I did. Was the high point of the trip. Saw
     Charles, had Peter sign a book, met some other owners or wannabes.

     Ladies definitely like the Morgan Motor Car Co., and if you're having
     a hard time convincing your bettah half that twelve hours per weekend
     spent in the garage is a good thing, this will help tremendously.

     I wish I'd had the tips that have been posted to this page at that
     time. We would have had even more fun in Malvern Link.

     (2) To S Manwell who's looking for a tonneau & top for an early
     Morgan. I think you'll find shops in many places which will make a top
     to fit. Just borrow a top from a neighbor or nearby club member so
     they can see the style, and you can have one made up in the same stuff
     as the original. Here in Connecticut there are several such places.
     They will really need to fit any cover to your car anyway. All the
     cars are different and every snap is put in a slightly different spot
     on each car. The problem with making a pattern from an old top is that
     the dam things shrink.

     (3) To Michael Miles about the Morgan video: I ordered one, it came
     completely smashed. I called the company (1 800 423 1212) and asked
     for another sent via US Postal service, it came just fine. The company
     is A&E Home Video, 19 Gregory Drive, So. Burlington, VT 05403. The
     stock number is AH40132 and it retailed for 19.95 plus S/H, whatever
     that is. Worth the money on a rainy day.

     (4) To harris_simmons about Matilda: in my second experience with my
     Morgan (the first was the starter solenoid sticking..) I found my
     generator was charging fine at idle, but the battery was going dead
     anyway every week or so. After cleaning all the grounds (very
     important) I finally figured out, (or others figured out for me) that
     the armature was bad, the central core was expanding and shorting out
     when any rpms were applied. Spare gen. could have a rotten core.Test
     it with plenty of rpms. Check the brushes too. Make sure they're the
     right ones.

     (5) To John McNaughton and others using or thinking of using VW wheels
     with spacers. I think you're right about vintage racers using these
     wheels (not me, not yet) but I wonder if using these spacers means you
     have to put longer studs on the brake drums?

     (6) To people (many) who offered advice on how to get to Beaulieu:
     thanks! I didn't make it this time, but will go in midwinter. Wished I
     had my Morgan in Catalunia. Some wonderful roads there.