Re: +4 Transmissions

To: smithmog@ix.netcom.com, "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: +4 Transmissions
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 23:08:54 -0800
>a friend of mine in the Michigan club converted his Moss-boxed early
>Plus 8 to a 5-speed box out of a V-6 Buick Skyhawk(A Borg-Warner,I think)
>The only shortcoming was that he lost his handbrake-no room-but it
>transformed the car, making highway cruising in overdrive 5th a real
>pleasure. Wish I could find a readily available (read:cheap) 5-speed that
>would bolt up to my 1600 Crossflow.(I've heard that the Mustang/T-Bird
>5-speed from the 2300 engine doesn't bolt up easily) Anybody have any
>ideas?

One of the 5 speeds that has been recommended for retrofitting to the 4/4
is the box out of the Merkur XR4Ti.  (I think this list had a thread on it
about a year ago)  The real problem is finding one (misses out on the
'cheap' criteria also).  A local here did find one and it bolted in quite
easily.  It does really make freeway travel more pleasant.  As for the Plus
4 Moss box, I don't have any ideas.

"Entropy Happens!"
Michael D. Miles, PE  Consulting Design Engineer
(503) 292-1234, FAX: (503) 292-1105, email: mdmiles@teleport.com