Re: TDC on F2

To: tjsouz@epix.net
Subject: Re: TDC on F2
From: EPaul21988 <EPaul21988@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 22:20:43 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-11 09:07:39 EDT, tjsouz@epix.net writes:

<< There is a problem with using the Carl's TDC technique on an F head
 engine like a Coventry Climax because the spark plug hole never "sees"
 the piston being well off to the side away from the piston.

Yes this came to me as I read Carl's suggestion.  Makes perfect sense if you
can get something onto the top of the cylinder to make mark the movement.  I
love the idea Dee suggested with the whistle.  If I made 50 of them do you
think they'd sell !!

What I found out on this particular car is that the pin was too short.  It
looked fine, painted and  everything but it was too short.  I used a nail
first and felt it fall into an depression at one point on the cam sprocket.
Then I checked a spare engine I had and used that pin to good effect.
I also found that the spark plug wires were not in the proper sequence.  Yes
1, 2 4, 3  with 1 at the radiator and  #1set at the rotor at 8 degrees BTDC is
now the sequence.  The points and the plugs were 2x the required gap.  The
points were  horribly burned and in fact were an incorrect type and could not
possible be adjusted properly.  I now believe that the wet plugs were  a
result of the vehicle running on two or three cylinders !!
After making the adjustments I am pleased to announce that I have a rather
severe burn on my leg from the exhaust system. !! After setting everything
according to the factory manual, it fired up immediately.  Funny that EH?  I
took it for a brief spin up the road and the power increase in quite large.  I
made black marks from the rear tire on my driveway !!   Being a long time TR
guy I'm impressed with the torque on this tiny Ford engine so far.  OK Fred
I'm ready for a Drag race !!

Adjusted the front brakes also and they actually work ok.  Not great but ok.

At any rate I'm extremely pleased with the progress.  Thank you all for your
interest and input.  It really helps steady me in my natural impatience to get
on with things and drive the bloddy thing !!  Tomorrow I plan on picking up my
son at soccer practice in the F2.  What other 13 year old can say that.

Big car show this weekend in Albuquerque.  Plan on having the F2  there.
Looking good so far.

Thanks to all for the much needed support.

Bob Paul