Re: Distributor questions

To: "Stephen F. Bauserman" <sbauserman@actsnet.com>
Subject: Re: Distributor questions
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 17:06:54 +1000
Steve,

As always with Moggies it all depends. Factors which might influence the
answer include:

What carburettor(s) you are running and whether the distributor is set up
to run on mechanical or vacuum + mechanical advance.

If the car is in standard tune with the twin throat downdraught Weber (a la
Cortine GT), then it should probably have a vacuum advance with a fitting
on the distributor and on the inlet manifold for the vacuum tube. If there
is not a vacuum tube then the pick up pipe under the carburettor should
have been replaced by a plug. It may have been squeezed shut if the
modifier had no repect for mechanicals.

If a non standard competition carburettor(s) (eg sidedraught Weber) has
been fitted then the distributor may have been changed or modified to
operate only on mechanical advance.

Having said that the lack of vacuum advance should not have as great an
effect as you describe, even with a fairly "warm" camshaft. The mechanical
advance may be sticking when the engine gets hot. The best bet is to have
it bench tested and maybe even set up things on a dyno to optimise
everything. I'd also check to make sure the inlet manifold gaskets are not
leaking.

Happy Trails

Steve Moore

>I have my new clutch installed, plus a rebuilt starter and a rebuilt exhaust
>system with flex pipe (thanks again Chuck). I have driven the car about 5 to
>7 miles at a time since this.  The weather has gotten into the mid 90's.
>This is the first time I have driven it in this kind of heat.  I have never
>driven the car at 95 to 100 degrees Cent. as indicated on the water
>temperature gage.
>
>I have been laboring with the idle in Scarlet.  I get everything set up so
>that it starts nice, but it misses, backfires through the exhaust and stalls
>as you come to a light after being driven a mile or so.  I advance the
>timing until it runs smooth and it will not start. I can also pull out the
>choke a quarter of an inch, but it the idles at about 2000 RPM.
>
>It did not dawn on me until this afternoon that all of the pictures in my
>Brooklands book showed a distributor with a vacuum advance.  Mine does not
>have a vacuum advance.  I looked up the distributor model in the book and it
>says that it should have a Ford 25D4.  I have a 23D4.
>
>The questions are:
>
>1. Does a Morgan distributor normally have a vacuum advance?
>2. Could the car have jumped a notch on its timing chain?
>3. Does this make any sense or would anything else account for this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve Bauserman
>67 Morgan 4/4 Series V Competition

Please Note new Phone and Fax numbers