Distributor problem

To: "Blair, John (E-mail)" <jblair@virgo.massolant.navy.mil>,
Subject: Distributor problem
From: "Stephen F. Bauserman" <sbauserman@actsnet.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 06:40:32 -0500
Scarlet is finally up and running again.  The problem was not the
distributor or timing or carburetor.  After doing some checking I found the
number one cylinder was not firing.

Therefore, I swapped plugs from another cylinder that did fire and swapped
plug wires.  The plug wire swap was over kill because I had determined by
pulling the wire off and inserting a bolt into the wire and touching it to
the block that I was getting spark that far.  Neither of these solved the
problem.  I checked the ground strap on the motor mount that was fine.

The problem ended up being a broken washer under the head of the bolt
between the exhaust and intake manifolds on the number one cylinder.  I
found this because I was down to the point of thinking something had blocked
the flow to cylinder one and was starting to pull the manifold.  When I put
the socket on the bolt the washer fell off.

My first thought was no it could not be that simple, but I figured, it could
not hurt to put another washer on, tighten it up, and start it.  Low and
behold, it worked after the engine was started. I pulled the number one wire
off and it was obvious.  I stopped it and re-started it several times and
each time it ran on all four cylinders.  So I took it for a drive and other
than having to adjust the mixture, the car ran fine.

Stephen F. Bauserman
67 Morgan 4/4
83 Mercedes 300SD
96 Cherokee Country