flat rad

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: flat rad
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 08:54:33 -0400
Dear all;

Many thanks to all who've responded to my appeals for advice on the idea of
buying a '51 flat rad.  As you probably guessed, I wouldn't have posted to
the list if I wasn't seriously hesitating on this thing.

I especially appreciate OUR MAN BOB'S advice.  I've never done a full bore
restoration on a Mog but can well imagine that its the little stuff that
get's you (it always has been, really).  It would be impossible for me to
tell how 'complete' this car is until I'd had it in my garage for about a
year (and then it would be a year too late).  OTOH, it sounds like it was
fairly common to swap out the vanguard mill; not a surprise as the
performance figures between that and the TR2 are significant.  I'd be this
car would scoot!

To answer a few new questions:
--I understand the dash is complete, with all gauges, etc.  Of course,
there would be only two; the speedo and the four way.  This car didn't have
a tach.
--No sidecurtains
--Steering wheel is white bakalite (sp?) that I understand is badly cracked
--Don't know if the wood is the right stuff (ash, isn't it?).  Each piece
is still unattached.  I understand some final finishing is needed on the
wood before the tub could be assembled.  This would appear to me to be the
biggest obstacle (apart from the final bill).  I obviously have NO
expertise in this and could very well make errors similar to those Bob
described.

I'm going to guess I'll be talking myself out of this again, despite the
very low admissions fee.  Besides, I already have a wickedly cool Morgan
(you remember, a 4/4, "the thinking man's mog) which will look
'transplendent' in BRG someday...)   Another factor for me is that, tho I'm
strongly attracted to the _idea_ of a flat rad, I don't think I have the
stamina for another restoration just yet.  You wouldn't believe the hassle
getting some TVR parts!

I'm going to try to speak to the new owner of the thing today (?) and get a
feel for his price and his version of the car's condition.  With his
permission, I'll post his name and phone number to the list (as it is
increasingly looking as if I'm going to pass on this).

have a great weekend!
Will

p.s. oh, and by the way, I think the e-type is out too; you should see the
floors on this thing (or, rather, you should see the _garage_ floors, if
you know what I mean).  Just as with all lbcs, rust is like cock roaches;
you see one but you just know there's nine more hiding someplace.  At least
my wife's happy...  :-/