Re: Rebuilding Early side curtians

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rebuilding Early side curtians
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:07:14 -0500
At 08:11 AM 12/15/98 -0800, you wrote:

>I am looking to rebuild the side curtians on my 59' 4/4. I need the fabric
>and replacement trim strips as mine are in bad shape. Anyone have any
>experience rebuilding these?

John

   Yes, I've done it.  What I did, was:

1. To make a new inner boards from 1/8" plywood and cover them with epoxy.
2. Sanded the AL. frames with 220 wet & dry sand paper to get out most of
   the scratches.  Then went to higher grits, until I finished with 600
   grit.  Then I buffed them up on a buffing wheel with the Red buffing
   compound.
3. I got the fabric (vynal) from a local upholstery shop.
4. Thanks to Bob N. went to a local hardware store and got new plexiglass,
   actually something similar but more scratch resistant (cant remember it
   name) and made new windows.
5. As to the rubber seal, the stuff available from the vendors is for the
   newer sidecurtains.  There has been a change in the AL extrusion and
   the gaskets.  So, the new stuff isn't supposed to fit in the old frames.
   I also tried several non-Morgan vendors trying to find a universal type
   seal - to no avail.  Good luck at finding some.

Hope this helps.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi