1998!

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1998!
From: Naoz@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:51:26 EST
Dear MORGANEERS!

As this year nears an end I reflect back on my 1998 MORGAN experience:

This is the year that I got involved with Morgans. Though I knew a little bit
about them (I could recognize one if I saw one) I had never paid them much
mind. Until one day in April last, I walked into a "British Car Garage" and
uncovered a Plus 8 which had been shoved in a corner of the shop for 5-6
years. I was not out to buy anything as I was there only to get their mechanic
to look at my Lotus Cortina.

I asked him what kind of car they had in the corner as it appeared low and
Lotus Seven like in outline. I always liked the Seven and still do. I was
encouraged to lift the cover when the red Plus 8 struck my attention. Though
it was covered in grease and grime, and full of parts collected from Jaguars
and Roll Royces over the years the car looked "great".

It was on stands in the rear because the rear-end was missing. It also had no
interior and the wiring was dangling under the dashboard. Since it was kept
indoors the car was spared the exposure to water and sun thus rust was
minimal.

To make a long story short, the owner asked me if I was interested in car. He
probably did not witness my excitement. One week later I had negotiated an
unbeatable price for the car. I will not disclose my purchase price but I
still think that at best I would have bought a ratty compact for the money.

Now 8 month later I have the car in running condition. It is not a beauty yet,
but the motor runs sweet (34K miles only) and my own fabricated rear end seems
to be good. The car was laid up initially because of a missing rear-end.
Electrical work still needs to be completed and then the dreaded wood rot and
a complete paint job!  At present the car is at a shop to have the motor
removed to replace the rear oil seal. At the same time we will repaint the
motor and detail the engine compartement. I hope to have this ready by the end
of December.

The real reason for this writing is to thank the great bunch of MORGAN
afficionados that visit and mail each other on this maillist. I was lucky to
get in touch with one person after I bought the car who suggested I subscribe
to this service. Well, through this GREAT medium I have communicated with
probably the most (and only) knowledgeable MORGAN folks. Most are in the USA
but I have also had mail from Malaysia, Holland, Norway, Canada, UK and
Holland (is this internet great or what?) I have learned a lot about MOGS and
the people that own, and I must admit that I like what I see. The social
aspect of owning a Morgan is very fun.

You folks have adviced me and directed me to the best sources to get my car
fixed. I am very grateful to all of you, because I have been able to
accomplish a lot in so little time as a DIYSer.

I feel like I know some of you though we have never met. I will not mention
any names, since I do not want to "offend" someone else by forgetting to
include them. You are a bunch of pals and I look forward hopefully meeting you
someday at a MOG venue! 1998 has been a great year for me!

With this I would like to wish you all:

 Happy Holidays and a prosperous New Year!

from Mike Nahar
Miami, FL. USA