Re: Shop air compressors -Reply

To: <LSelz@aol.com>, <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shop air compressors -Reply
From: "Bill Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 08:55:16 -0600
Lannis,

One tip I heard lately is to run the air lines with a slight tilt back
to the compressor to make sure that water doesn't pool anywhere.  Flat
is never flat so if you run the lines level water will gather where
there is any dip in the line.  This will come out at the worst possible
time such as when you are spraying paint.

Water traps at every drop is a good idea.  A heat exchanger (coil in ice
water is good.  I have also heard of people using a surplus oil cooler)
with a big honking water trap right at the compressor outlet is also a
good idea.  I would also add quick release fittings at every drop then
build a few medium length hoses.  That way you can put the hoses where
you need them and even attach them end to end when you need something
longer.

One filter at the compressor is probably sufficient however do not put
oilers on the line.  Have one or two set up on quick connects and attach
them when you need them.  Otherwise you may end up with oil in your
paint.  I would also build a "paint hose" and never use it with an
oiler.

Good luck,
Bill Eastman
MGA, XK150
A Morgan is next on the list but I need to go through the mandatory new
project cooling off period first or Nancy will make me talk funny.