RE: Who Needs Y2K When We Have Lucas!

To: krisbox@hotmail.com, mdmiles@home.com
Subject: RE: Who Needs Y2K When We Have Lucas!
From: Gerry Willburn <Gerry.Willburn@trw.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:42:45 -0700
Yes, Joe Lucas generaly takes a bum rap.  With the exception of a period in
the '70s when the rocker switches as used on the facia tended to fall
appart, I have always found Lucas components to be quite reliable.  It is
the wiring harness which generaly causes electrical problems in British
cars.  This is particularly true in the older cars (when Lucas got his
reputation).  The insulation on the wiring would dry up and rot causing
shorts which in turn would burn up components (let the smoke out) and
generaly wreak havoc with the system.  Poor Uncle Joe got the blame!  The
other problem is the Corrosion Gnome which likes to live in the "bullet"
connectors and fuse blocks (refusing to let the smoke travel from component
to component).

Good Luck All,

Gerry