distributor question

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: distributor question
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:38:21 -0400
Dear all;

Here's a bizarre question, that sort of segues out of the electronic
ignition theme and sort of doesn't.  A friend has a Smiths chronometric
tach collecting dust in his garage.  Evidently, its all he has left from
his glory days as a formula ford upstart.  Anyway, I've developed an itch
to put such a tack in the morgan ('67 4/4).  My electronic Smiths tach is
serviceable but, zowie, a chronometric tach... now that's stylin'!  Anyway,
to get to the point: its mechanical.  My mechanical MG tach ('63 B) links
off of the cam with a speedo cable; obviously not an option on the ford
engine'd morgan.  What about a distributor with a tach cable linkage?  Can
anyone suggest a distributor that might serve this purpose?  I.e. it's
drive has to be accommodated by the ford mill and it has to have the cable
linkage and it has to be for a four-banger.  What about the TR4 mill?  Is
the tach mechanically driven?  Or, is the idea of swapping in alternative
distributors just not in the realm of possibility??

thanks,
Will Zehring