Re: Wire Wheels and Tubes

To: "Stephen F. Bauserman" <sbauserman@actsnet.com>,
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels and Tubes
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:56:58 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

Stephen
Having experienced four flats ( two in the first day ) on my Alaska trip I
tried the Silicone route.   What  convinces me that it might work was having
a tire go low in Dawson and finding that  it had traveled 5000 miles with
air  trapped between the tube and tire  rather than it all being in the tube
.
Once home I bought a tube of silicone sealer  and put a rather thick layer
over the spokes where the  tape usually is placed.
It has  been three years without a tube and the wheel is still holding air.
I did this on a new wheel from British Wire Wheel *  and can not  say how it
would work on a old wheel.
I would note that Bill Boyles has also tried this and he did have some
problems.

  * Note: I have no connection or financial interest in British Wire Wheel ,
but  needing 4 new wheels for my DHC  I will accept any discount they might
offer me for mentioning their name.

Bob Nogueira   ' who can be a Republican if it pays '

- REPLY, Original message follows --------

> Date: Sunday, 09-Apr-00 02:45 PM
>
> From: Stephen F. Bauserman     \ Internet:    (sbauserman@actsnet.com)
> To:   MORGANS                  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: Wire Wheels and Tubes
>
> Being we are in our annual two weeks of Spring in Houston, I took Scarlet
out
> for a run this morning.  After lunch I went out to take care of a few
minor
> things in the garage and found Scarlet with a flat tire.
>
> When Scarlet was restored her 72 spoke painted wire wheels were replaced
with a
> set of Dayton Chrome 72 spoke wire wheels.  I have always run them with
tubes.
>  They have rubber inserts inside the rim to keep the spokes from making
holes
> in the tubes and they have been checked for loose spokes, but in spite of
this
> I have at least a half dozen flat tires a year.  I run Dunlop SP20 165/15
tires
> on her and I drive Scarlet about 5K miles per year. Much of that drving is
at
> 50 - 65 MPH on freeway or interstate.
>
> I have been told that I can run these wheels without tubes if I will use a
> silicone sealant at the base of the spokes on the inside of the rim.  It
is
> getting harder and harder in my area to get someone to repair of replace
inner
> tubes.  I have replaced the last two myself.  I can think of numerous
other
> things I would rather do with my time.  Has anyone out there converted a
set of
> wire wheels from being tube to tubeless?  Or does anyone have any ideas on
this
> subject?
>
> I just returned from Pep Boys with a large tube of Permatex Silicone
Sealant