Re: Spring Sprints, a two thirds view

To: Jhalfdime@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spring Sprints, a two thirds view
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <Chip.Brown@msdw.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:04:00 -0400
Re the VSCCA Spring Sprints, I can attest that Monsieur Half Dime indeed
was there in fine fettle. Also present: Chris Towner with his '38 trike,
running in the prewar class as well, and in the 'slow under two liter'
group (bunched by lap times, not by displacement) myself, Mike Virr in
his very special '59 4/4 and Dick Odgers, a new comer whose car was on
the front of the New York Times article last Fall, driving another '57
high cowl. Mike gridded about 18th, I was at 21 and Dick was either 22
or 23. Mike, as always, disappeared in the distance in a cloud of front
runners. Dick Odgers got by me on the second race and never put a foot
wrong. Lister Phil Roettger was also there, but driving another make of
automobile (hint: named after a flower or a meditating position) and
doing very nicely indeed. There were two other Plus 4s there, one owned
by Jake Jacobson of Wilmington but driven by guys I don't know, and
another car I never actually saw on the track.

I must say I had a lovely drive, no off course excursions, passed a
couple of people, and kept Odgers at bay in the last race, but just
barely. My nice repaired fenders, refitted rear end all survived none
the worse, and I finally got my oil temperature guage working (200F
after a five lap race) My drum brakes worked just fine, thank you, but I
know now how outbraked I am by a similar car fitted with disc brakes.
There were some very interesting cars there, including a couple of
Allards, a new Kurtis I've never seen before, and that MG that Seņor
Nichols mentioned. Also a brace of unspeakably beautiful Ferraris, both
owned by the same guy with a large red tractor trailer. It's enough just
to see these things on the roll, without worry about the bank roll..

Now, after replacing the bearings in my trailer (removed four on Sunday.
All four were bad to one degree or another!!) I will be off to Virginia
International Raceway in Danville the first weekend in May, stopping
along the way to see old friends down there in God's Country. I hope all
listers in the area will come by and say hello. Thence Lewes Delaware on
May 20th.

Don't you love Spring?

Chip Brown