Re: Louvers in the bonnet; conversations with Mauirce Owen & Chris Lawr

To: "aMORGANS@autox.team.net" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Louvers in the bonnet; conversations with Mauirce Owen & Chris Lawrence
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 23:51:56 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

Far be it for me to disagree with Lawrence and Owens but I can't help but
think the louvers do remove some hot air. I base this on my experience with
leaking fluids. Any time I have had a coolant or oil leak I end up with more
fluid on the windscreen than anywhere else. It flys out the louvers back to
the screen.
Also in summer, I can't use the Areo screens since the heat coming
out of the louvers  will singe your eyebrows off.

Bob Nogueira   ( A Louver lover )

PS  Thanks Scott , it  arrived !

> Date: Wednesday, 31-May-00 07:51 PM
>
> From: Howard Clark             \ Internet:    (hclark@mail.dcwi.com)
> To:   Chas Wasser              \ Internet:    (ohmog@fuse.net)
> To:   MORGANS                  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: Re: Louvers in the bonnet; conversations with Mauirce Owen &
Chris
> Lawrence
>
> I seem to be drawn to cars that overheat. In addition to a Morgan +4 I
have  a
> '47 Ford with a 400 ci smallblock Chevy, notorious for overheating due to
> siamesed cylinders, and a '36 Cord with beautiful horizontal louvers
running
> around its "coffin" nose, but insufficient air flow. The  overheating
problem
> with both of these non-Morgan cars could be cured with  louvers.
>
> IMHO, louvers are for LOW SPEED heat removal. Heat builds up under the
hood  as
> there are no low pressure areas to draw it out at low speed. Heat rises,
the
> louvers let it out. The Ford and the Cord only overheat in traffic.  I've
run
> the Ford without its hood and viola!, no overheating -- even with  the air
> conditioner on. Whenever you see Cords stopped during a tour, you  see the
> hoods up. Passersby think we're showing off the engine, which we  are, but
we
> are mainly letting the heat out so the d___ thing will restart.  This
procedure
> is known as the "Cord Salute". With either car on a hot day,  when you
stop and
> raise the hood there is a blast of hot air like dragon's  breath.
>
> Morgans, however, will also overheat at speed, and the suggestions of Chas

> Wasser, Maurice Owen, Fred Sisson, et al are directed to these problems.
If