Re: LOUVRES IN THE BONNET

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>,
Subject: Re: LOUVRES IN THE BONNET
From: "Colin Cobb " <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 11:29:38 -0600
"Louvre?"

I thought that was some sort of roadside attraction in Frogland? Don't know
if they have any Mogs beyond the "Moga Lista" but if so they'd likely be
badged "Darmont" anyway.

Do know that the PO on my '41 streetrod punched louvers into the inside
wheel wells to try and evacuate some of the heat put out by the 350... I
dunno, maybe it worked... I do know that it did not solve his temp probs
because he later went to a four row aluminum (aluminium) racing radiator
with 25# cap and the car now runs cool, real cool...

It seems to me that becuause of the expense ($425 in the case of the
streetrod) people always improve the radiator as the last resort so they
wind up punching holes and adding recovery systems and so forth (all of
which cost something) and then still wind up going for a decent radiator.

Me Mog has never had any real overheating problems in the last 20 years once
I realized that the stock temp gauge was just a wild ass guess and added a
second, modern gauge. I remember an old time Mogger who opined that the
principal use of the louvers/res (he was a transplanted Brit who, when
people asked what kind of car his Flat Rad was responded, "'SaMog'n" causing
people to ask "What's a Smogan?"). Anyway, he claimed that the real purpose
of the Plus 4 louvers/res was to allow steam to escape immmedgitly when the
car overheated thus giving definitive information about the engine's actual
condition.

If/when my Mog comes back from the paint shop I plan to add a modern, almost
undoubtedly aluminum, radiator... Just seems like the time to do it.

Cheers!

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'41 Chevrolet Coupe 350/350TH, '65 Sunbeam Tiger, '66 Morgan Plus Four
(STILL being painted), '89 Alfa Romeo Spider