Re: Booklands and Fold Down Kit

To: Joe Speetjens <joe@nhms.net>,
Subject: Re: Booklands and Fold Down Kit
From: "Colin Cobb " <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 15:33:09 -0600
Hey Joe,

I doubt that adding an aluminum rad will do anything for the overheating
passenger compartment. The straight pipes MIGHT help a skoshie but will
certainly add other challenges unless you make additional mods. Also, there
is an undoubted environmental impact to pulling off the cats.

I tend to doubt that adding an AC is the answer. If the passenger
compartment is getting that hot (and I don't doubt that it is) I doubt that
the AC will deal with the heat and may add a true engine overheating problem
to boot. I am a big believer in air conditioning but believe you need to
deal with the real problem before adding an AC.

I believe this problem is very similar to a problem I am wrestling with in
my Tiger which, of course, runs a Ford 260 V8 in an engine compartment
designed for a 4 cylinder engine. This problem is found in most, if not all
Tigers to varying degrees.

Because of the placement of the engine the manifolds just plain transmit a
ton of heat to the passengers. Because the passenger compartment heat
insulation from the factory was a joke (and it is now a 35 year old joke)
much of that heat goes straight to the passengers.

Solutions which seem to help in the Tiger (and hot rod) community are:

1. Jet coating the INSIDE of the exhaust manifolds (or headers, as the case
may be) to insulate them. This is much more effective than coating the
exterior of the items. Do not confuse Jet Coat with powder coat. Amazing
improvements are reported from using Jet coat. This, of course, also adds
life to the components treated and makes it considerably safer to work in
the engine compartment immediately after shutting off the engine.

2. Adding "space age" insulation to the passener compartment side of the
firewall and floorboards. People report good results with the aluminized
bubble material available from JC Whitney or even Home Depot but I am sure
that the more exotic materials would work even better. I have absolutely no
doubt that a few hundred tiles from a space shuttle would cure it
immedgitly... I think "normal" carpet underlayment is almost completely
ineffective.

If you want to experiment a bit you could try pulling the bonnet entirely
and seeing if there is a marked improvement in your comfort level. I doubt
that there will be because your engine is not overheating, it is just
cooking people. For another experiment, you could also run the car hot, then
stop and peel a bit of carpet off the firewall and lay your hand on it...
but be careful as you are likely to get burned.

Good luck and Cheers!

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'41 Chevrolet Coupe, '65 Sunbeam Tiger, '66 Morgan Plus Four, '89 Alfa Romeo
Spider