Dual Electric Pumps for the Morgan

To: morgans@autox.team.net, emog@lyris.dundee.net
Subject: Dual Electric Pumps for the Morgan
From: robert m bowie <deemi@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:24:35 -0500
Hi,

We have a bit on the electric pumps to a Morgan, at least as used in the
60's for racing endurance setup.  (these have been offered since at least
1959 for Morgans (Road and Track Sept 59 pg 39) (back cover 'Sports Car
Guide 11/59)

TOK-258 had an electric pump and probably dual, with the left sided fuel
line running to the mechanical pump in series, I have a picture showing
the line going from the left firewall hole and you can see it going into
the pump, I dont know if it was bypassed or not, (6/16/1962 Lemans FIA
RAC specification document with blue stamp) (document gave choice of
single su electric or dual bendix)

the twin filler Morgan Super Sports had Bendix positive ground 12V 'red
top' pumps, run in paralell, one line going out as above on TOK and the
other going out with the right side firewall harness to T in to the line
coming from the other side, this was powered by an on off on switch to
allow a kill and one on at a time supply, that probably imples the
mechanical pump was bypassed somehow on the car as you would have two
different pressures and that would change the end pressure to a set of
sensitive webers. (they like lower pressure ranges).  The original Bendix
installation instructions for a 1964 pump show bypassing the mechanical
pump with a simple flex line and change of fittings about the mechanical
pump.

The dual pumps were located next to the fillers and drew each from a long
stem tap on top of the tank (dual set)  by the way one was longer, I
think to allow a reserve?

there was also a large tank for this setup, a 16 imperial gallon (thats
20 US correct?) ,  this had three baffles in it, one larger and two
smaller, do the plus 8 tanks have these?  It had a an extra bit of
rodding  on the sending float to extend it as well for the deeper tank.

So dual fillers, larger tank, dual fuel lines running along the inside of
black PVC, then coming to a T, with on off on switch was a factory option
by ordering the larger tank.  I wish I could get Chris lawrence to
comment on this option as he probably thought it up, but it follows the
trend of the 100-S healey and others. ( He did the same with the 'Deep
Sanderson' webers bendix etc ( Motor Sport may 63 pg 348).  This would be
best for endurance racing.

I wonder how the TT replicas and the earler Lemans versions were setup? (
I know they had dual fillers on the panel on a few of them, some came
right up in the back compartment tonneau cover area.  (were there 5
factory made replicas?)

when I first asked about these odd bits on my car, people stated it could
not be so, but the car had them, the original bill of sale from Fergus
Motors  shows the 'larger gas tank for 40 US and 'twin elec pumps' for 40
more.  The factory ledger states '16 Gallon Petrol tank' as well.  I
found five other Super Sports made with this and other endurance
specifications in a 6 month period with the help of Hermen Pol and Jake
Alderson.

I am hoping for comments regarding the baffling, how the lines would have
gone from the tanks dual siphons to the the pumps ( I have seen them
first connect to each other and then to the pumps, but think they should
be straight to them each)  and how the black plastic pvc lines would have
come together at the webers, it seems they came to the front  area of
them by looking at my original lines and pictures.

Hope this was of interest.

Robert and Richard Bowie up to Maine