morris

wet booty, engine

To: morris@autox.team.net
Subject: wet booty, engine
From: gc <litfuse@isp01.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:08:38 -0400
Ok, how does the water get there?  My Minor 1000 gets water in the rearmost
part of the boot when left out in the rain.  The bootlid also pees when
lifted, out of a couple holes at the base edge.  There is what appears to
be a usable seal around the perimeter of the bootlid, (unless that's not
where it goes,) and it appears to be generic square cross section foam,
creased where it meets metal edge of the car body.

Fortunately, the DPO poured a pint of waxoyly stuff in the part that
collects the water, so rust is minimal.

And speaking of whom... I removed the valve cover to torque the head bolts
and found only 4 randomly affixed circlips on the valves.  What keeps the
spring assembly together after several hours of running and driving baffles
me.  (And Moss lists the clips as NLA... what now?)

I think the head must come off.  Despite good compression (170 psi for all
4!), there is oil in my coolant and coolant (I think) wets the manifold
side during running.  Never beheaded a car before; sounds like fun.  I'm
thinking that after draining the coolant and removing the manifolds, and
after sequentially loosening the head bolts, I turn the crank and the
compression ought to loosen the head.  Right?  I'd use the starter, but I'm
afraid the oil would get even messier.  Any advice for an innocent?  What
was that John Twist trick with the copper wire?