newsletters

I say "Potato" and you say "Pah-Tah-to"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, newsletters@autox.team.net,
Subject: I say "Potato" and you say "Pah-Tah-to"
From: KHoward313@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:11:03 -0400
Here's a challenge for all of you on both sides of the pond (and around the
world).  I'm putting together an article for our Triumph Club newsletter here
in Wisconsin that will show how we here in the colonies use a language
different than that of the Queen's English.  Following are a list of names of
parts for automobiles.  The first is what we call it in the U.S.  The other
is what they call it in the land of fish and chips, mushy peas and pints.
 Please let me know of any automobile terms that I have missed.

AMERICAN  /  BRITISH
Hood  /  Bonnet
Trunk  /  Boot
Fender  /  Wing
Tire  /  Tyre
Gas or Gasoline  /  Petro
Parking Lot  /  Car Park
Muffler  /  Silencer
Transmission  /  Gear Box
Rear view mirror  /  interior mirror
Side view mirror  /  Wing or door mirror
License plate  /  number plate
Exhaust manifold  /  Extractors
Firewall  /  Bulkhead
Side Curtains / Side screens
Automatic transmission / Auto Shift

Just send your additions directly to me.  I'll summarize them in one message
for anyone interested.  That will save there being a lot of junk on your
list.  Thanks for your help.

Kent D. Howard
Editor, Coventry Commentator, Vintage Triumphs of Wisconsin
‘65 TR4A CTC 50486 (Original Owner)