Re: [Nobbc] club tech project???

To: North Bay British Car Club <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] club tech project???
From: gtwincams <gtwincams@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 06:00:33 -0700
Dawson, Steve,
I'm afraid the days of having that much free time to completely rebuild
someone else's engine are long gone for me. It's a nice, altruistic
idea, but this club has a hard enough time deciding on drive
destinations - do you want your engine rebuilt by such a committee? You
will definitely get what you pay for (the term "zero sum" comes to
mind). It could work with a more structured organization, or in a high
school auto shop, or if you have a close friend in the club who is
capable, but I'd be pleasantly surprised to see it work by having a
series of tech sessions. My gearbox tech session worked because John's a
friend and you all just watched me take it apart, but it's going to be
enough work for me to rebuild his gearbox, it takes a back seat to my
own projects, and he's going to owe me a lot more than putting together
a resource list for club members...
For a sense of proportion here, Dawson, the engine I'm rebuilding for my
Lotus has taken me 3 months with parts delays, machine shop backlogs,
receiving wrong parts, finding new problems, etc., and would cost me
$8-10,000 from a professional. Even though your MG should not take as
long or cost as much because it is simpler, you want it done correctly,
and probably within the next 5 years, I expect.
Just trying to be honest here. If someone else wants to disprove my
position, please step in.
Cheers,
Greg