Re: [oletrucks] blinking headlights? switch problem.

To: soundex@eden.com (craig k)
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] blinking headlights? switch problem.
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 09:05:08 -0500

>So my theory: the bimetallic spring 'fuse' has become old and cranky; this,
>coupled with some resistance thru the switch, has the spring disengaging
>the power just due to the heat from normal current flow - not really a
>short here at all.
>Does this sound right?
>I should be either to
>A) bend the contact toward the spring a little, and make it  a little
>harder to move enough to break contact
>B) permanently break contact, and install a buss fuse between the
connections.

>Don't want to burn down the old truck, but would rather not butcher an OEM
>switch if there is a simple fix...

Craig
Try cleaning the contacts til they shine.  I think you are on the right
track with your theory.  Headlights draw plenty of current and if you have
old dirty contacts you might be developing a hot spot right at the contact
that is heating up the bimetal and making it open.
I think you indicated that the new switch worked with no problems so that
should verify that your wiring is ok. The problem must be in the switch.
As a last resort - and I know this is not popular with the pure stockers- I
would ditch the old switch in favor of the new one.  I would much prefer to
have an old truck with a repro headlight switch than an old truck that was
burned up.
Good luck!
Bill Bailey
http://members.tripod.com/~oltruck