Re: [oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?

To: "Ole' Trucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 05:37:43 -0700
Sorry guys, Mr. Cummins and Mr. Adrian have gently corrected me.  The 4L80E
is the tranny that is based on the old TH-400.  The 4L60E is the 700R-4,
and is a newer design that is not as heavy duty as the 4L80E.  It sounds
like the 4L80E is the 3/4 and 1-ton tranny.  Now I get to go back and tell
my friend at the local "auto recyclers" that he was wrong.  So how much
stronger is the 4L80E than the equivalent 4L60E/700R-4?  What are these two
transmissions rated at for torque/hp?   My 88 1/2-ton has the 700R-4, and I
have done a lot of towing with it.  My 86 Blazer (full-size) also has this
same tranny.  I have had really great luck with both of them.  Is this a
fluke or is the 86 and up 700R-4 that much better?  Thanks again for
correcting me,  it only hurts a little =^).

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco

----------
> From: w cummins <wac@gene-o-tech.com>
> To: Kevin Lake <lakek@oit.edu>
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?
> Date: Sunday, April 18, 1999 12:04 AM

TH-400,
> >but with a  lock-up torque converter for the added fourth gear. In about
> >1990 GM added the 4L60 designation,  as far as I know there were no
> >physical changes to the transmission.  In about 1992 or 1993 they added
> >electronic control and it became the 4L60E and the 4L80E, I have been
told
> >that the difference between these two is mainly shift points and the
torque
> >converter.  The 700R-4 is a very strong transmission, but you have to
take
> >a few precautions with the earlier transmissions:  1) You must not tow
in
> >Over-drive.  2) You must change the filter and fluid on a regular basis.
3)