[oletrucks] Blocked Fuel Line, Episode II

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Blocked Fuel Line, Episode II
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:16:40 EDT
        Last week I had posted about finding a completely blocked fuel line
after trying to finish the installation of the recently ReNewed gas tank. The
line was so badly plugged that even 100 psi was not sufficient to blow it
clear. Bob ADler recommended replacing it and that seemed the best idea. The
old line may well have been rusty inside and perhaps would never have given
entirely satisfactory performance.
        I had never messed with steel tubing before and was not sure how much
trouble I was in for. A quick trip to my local friendly, Fullerton Motor
Parts, revealed that this tubing was only available (from them) in precut
lengths, complete with the flairs and nuts already installed. None of the
lengths were long enough for an AD truck, so it would have to be made from
two sections and joined with a special fitting. I could not decide on the
exact length required so I got a 3' section, a 2' section, and a 1' section
along with the appropriate connecting fitting, all in the 5/16 size. The
total cost for these items came to $9.33 plus the Governor's ransom. They
also had a nice American made multi size bender for $9.11, once again, plus
the Governor's ransom.
        Installing the fuel lines proved a very easy task. I used the 3' and
2' sections and found bending the tubing pretty straightforward. I did make
my final bend just a little too sharp, and slightly constricted the bend.
This was fixed by squeezing the bend in the vice between some aluminum plates.
        For the time being, I have just run a piece of rubber fuel line the
final few inches from the line to the fuel pump. With the flair and nut
already in place it should be a simple matter to have a proper flexible hose
made up to complete the job.
        It all works nicely. Three gallons on gas were poured into the tank
and the motor started after a little cranking. This is the first time the
truck has run on internal fuel in more than a dozen years and to celebrate I
DROVE it a little bit. The brakes are still down for the count so it was not
possible to go faster than I could reasonably coast to a stop. Even staying
in first gear this is a milestone of sorts and I spent the rest of the day
with a big smile on my face.

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
http://hometown.aol.com/hudson29/myhomepage/index.html