[oletrucks] battery drain

To: "oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net" <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] battery drain
From: cupola2@worldnet.att.net
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 13:46:22 -0700
Happy Sunday to All,
Last week while driving my ole truck, I noticed
the ammeter never going to a charging mode.  It
would show discharge when I turned on the lights
or applied the brakes.  I swapped out the voltage
regulator and stepping on the gas would cause the
needle to go to charge.  The battery went dead, so
I used a 1 amp charger overnight, but battery
would not hold a charge.  Took the battery in for
warranty and got a new battery.  Ammeter showed
battery charging as I drove.  Now, dead battery
again.  When I turn off the ignition, there is a
drain, needle goes to discharge. I get slight
sparking when I disconnect the neg cable on
battery with ignition off.  Disconnected the brown
wire off the generator, with ignition off and the
needle went back  to centerline.  Does this mean I
have a bad generator?  Or, could the old, spare
voltage regulator I installed be bad too.  I guess
it time to go out and buy a voltmeter......

John 54 3100