[oletrucks] Frame/Suspension Question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Frame/Suspension Question
From: Bob_Keeland@usgs.gov (Bob Keeland)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:09:03 -0600
        My restoration story is a long sad one and I need advise.  Read on if
        you are a glutton for punishment.

        Ten to fifteen years ago my dad purchased a 1951 AD 1/2 ton 5-window in
        good running condition with some but not too much rust.  It was to be
        his daily driver when he was not on his 18 wheeler.  While dad was away
        my younger brother from Missouri asked if he could restore the pickup
        and dad unfortunately said yes.  My brother had some friends who owned
        body shop and they said that they would help him.  First they talked
him
        into junking the old frame, motor, et al. and replacing it with a frame
        and running gear from a 1985 Silverado.  The body shop friends sold him
        the frame.  Next was the addition of a 283, then the project died.  My
        mother got tired of seeing the old 1951 frame and had it hauled to the
        junk yard where it was crushed for scrap (motor and all).

        Now that I have decided to tackle the restoration I find that the body
        does not really fit on a 1985 Silverado frame and to beat all, the
frame
        is bent.  So much for friends who own a body shop.  I have a frame from
        a 1954 3/4 ton but it is missing the right front leaf spring and both
        rear springs and hangers.  All of these items I can pick up for about
        $125 locally.  I really like the idea of keeping a 3/4 ton frame as
this
        will be my daily driver (when not on the Sportster) and I often haul
big
        round bails of hay, pull a horse trailer, etc.

        My older brother in California has restored (modified) old cars/trucks
        and has advised that I install a Fatman Mustang II IFS, four-link rear
        suspension, and a camero rear end.  He likes that in-the-dirt look.  He
        also suggests chopping the top, bobbing the bed, etc.  I like the
        original look.  I realize that an IFS will improve driveability and
        allow easy installation of power steering, but I wonder if I will be
        giving up too much ruggedness.  I want this to drive as smoothly as
        possible, but it will be a real truck (not some show piece).  Would I
be
        better off to keep the leaf springs in front and add a disk brake kit?
        I hear that the old drum brakes don't work all that well.  Is that
        necessarily true?

        In the rear, what would be the best to use.  I expect to maintain leaf
        springs (none of that expensive four-link with coilover stuff for me),
        but am unsure of what rearend will be strongest and easiest to bolt in.

        A lot of people talk about the Ford 9 inch, but I really don't like
        mixing Chevy and Ford any more that I have to.  There was, however, an
        interesting article recently about using a Lincoln 8.8 inch rearend
with
        air suspension . . .  I guess that I'll keep the 283 as it is free and
        any other motor will probably cost me.

        So, I guess that my basic questions at this point are:

        1.  should I find a 1/2 ton frame to make parts hunting easier,
        2.  what is the recommended front suspension (is the original really
            that bad),
        3.  what is the recommended rearend for easy installation?

        Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry for the long message.
        I've only been on oletrucks for less than a week, but I have already
        learned a lot.  I've also learned a lot from magazines like Custom
        Classic Trucks and Street Rodder, but as someone else here stated,
their
        fixes are often on the pricey side.

        Bob Keeland
        51 AD 3/4(?) ton 5-window project truck