Re: [oletrucks] 12-volt starter for '50 Chevy Truck

To: "Al Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 12-volt starter for '50 Chevy Truck
From: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:53:43 -0500
I've read on the list, for a long time, that the flywheel ring gear &
starter bendix gears between 6v & 12v are different & can't be mixed.  I've
looked in the parts book & can't really decipher that there is a difference
(other than different part numbers for x-53 & 54 or 55 to 59 & up); no teeth
count/pitch etc. details given.

I ask this because I have a '49 216 that still has 6v starter, bendix & ring
gear & I just acquired a 12v starter, from a car, that I would like to use
as a spare.  Will there be major problems using the 12v starter on the older
flywheel.  I am already using 12v, so the power source is not a problem.

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh
dpewter@msn.com
Denton, TX