[oletrucks] GMC VIN # info

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] GMC VIN # info
From: safesix@worldnet.att.net
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:52:22 +0000
Here is some info I received from my personal GMC guru
(who knows about this list but has opted not to join).
This contradicts some other sources but is probably
accurate:

    After May of 1949, GMC did not stamp serial numbers
in any location other
than on the ID plate located on the left hand hinge
pillar.  You can look
(but I doubt you will find the serial number for this
1950) on frame rail on
the right hand sidemember just in front of the the rear
perch for the right
front spring.  It may be there but it is highly unlikely.

    As I have come across this situation many many times
before and I'll
offer the same advice which has worked for others;
perform a brain transplant
on the truck.  What that means is that you grub up an ID
plate for a 1950 GMC
(any size will work for registration purposes) and then
mount that plate on
the truck you buy before you do anything to register
it.  If you find the
serial number on the frame rail, then there is no
problem.

    As you already probably know, VIN numbers did not
begin in earnest until
about 1957 or so.  Prior to that US manufacturers used
serial numbers which
may or may not by chance have been identical numbers.
The apparent need for
a tracking system the provided a unique number for every
vehicle ever made
wasn't recognized until the late 50's and trucks were
the last to go the VIN
route.  This was all driven by theft.

Jack / Winter Park FL