Re: [oletrucks] AD windshield replacement

To: b_rusnak@telusplanet.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] AD windshield replacement
From: ldfinley@juno.com
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 22:32:51 -0600
I replaced mine myself, using 1/2 of a clothes-pin as a tool.  It is
tedious, and no doubt the experts can do a more efficient job, but if
you're game, it can be done.  The corner windows were the most tricky, as
you have to stand outside the truck with one hand on the outside and one
hand on the inside.  Very, very carefully holding the glass steady with
one hand while you work it into the channels of the new gasket.

There is a final "bead" gasket that is worked into the main gasket that
really holds the glass in place.  My philosophy on vehicles is to never
let anyone else do something that you can do yourself.  At least if you
do it yourself, you know it will be done right.  For every one truly
talented automotive technician out there, there are probably 4 or 5
grease monkeys, who will positively cause more damage than good.  I've
been taken a few times by incompetents.  And I'm talking about places
that advertise on TV.

I got the glass gaskets from the "The Truck Shop" out of California.
They have a nice catalogue for AD trucks, with many essential parts.

Good Luck!

Larry
1951 Chevy AD 5 Window
OKC, OK