Re: [oletrucks] gas gauge problem

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gas gauge problem
From: "Keith Breuer" <kbreuer@sgi.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 22:00:33 -0500
> Can anyone advise as to where to start in determining whats wrong with my
> gas gauge? It may be the unit in the tank. Where do I start? Will replacing
> the unit in the tank take care of the problem? This 54 3100 has been
> converted to 12 volt. Would this have anything to do with it?
> Be pleased to hear from anyone that has restored a 54. Just go tmiine and I
> need to do some work on it to get the way I want it.
>
> Thanks
> Ron

One way to isolate the problem is to use an ohm meter to check
the sending unit. Simply disconnect the wire from the sending unit
to the gauge and connect the positive lead of the ohm meter to it
with the negative lead of the meter connected to the chassis. With
the tank full, the resistance of the sending unit should be about 30
ohms. AN empty tank reads close to 0 ohms (around 2 or below)

Keith Breuer
kbreuer@sgi.net

My 1947 3/4 ton Chevy Web Site

http://www3.cybercities.com/k/kbreuer/