Re: [oletrucks] Front end sway

To: Max Power <monadnoc@crystal-mtn.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Front end sway
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 09:33:50 +0000
Just wondering...could a bent tie rod cause this? I remember that,  when my
truck
was on the straight axle suspension, the tie rod that runs under the truck had a
serious kink in it. I always wondered how it got bent so bad and even theorized
that
maybe that is how someone aligned the front end..by bending it.  At any rate I
changed the front end so I'm not that familiar with the original straight axles
in
these things.
I do recall something from my days as a remote control racer though...we had
1/10
scale model cars that steered off a servo motor arrangement.  The stub axles
were
mounted via kingpins to a straight axle and then they were connected to the
servo
via adjustable threaded rods.  The threaded rod was how you adjusted the toe
in/toe
out.  One time I mounted my servo too far back and had the tie rods coming in
at too
severe of an angle to the stub axles. The car handling was terrible..erratic and
wild. When you worked the suspension you could actually see the toe in change.
Someone put me onto this bumpsteer thing and I moved the servo farther
up..making
the tie rods more parallel to the front axles...problem solved...the toe in
stayed
consistent through suspension travel and the cars handling could be adjusted
through
shocks and springs as it should be.
I guess what I'm getting at with all this rambling is this...is it possible
that if
the long tie rod under the truck was bent that a similar type of thing could
happen?

Whew..all this typing has wore me out :-)

--
Bill Bailey
http://members.tripod.com/~oltruck/