[oletrucks] Sealing gas tank senders

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Sealing gas tank senders
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:07:33 -0700
Howdy...

I have one suggestion on what NOT to use to seal the sending unit in the
gas tank....silicone.

I had a D*dg* P*w*r W*g*n many years ago, with the tank in the cab.  One
day I was driving to work (to show you how long ago this was...I quit
"working" over 10 years ago!) and it quit running.  It acted like it was
out of gas, but the gage said it still had some, so I pulled out the
sender to see if there was any gas in the tank.  There was...but there
was also a nice 1/4" diameter plug of blue silicone stuck in the end of
the pickup tube, because the brilliant PO had drowned the sending unit
gasket in silicone when he put it back in.  He probably also removed the
sock (filter) from the end of the tube...

Jim