Re: [oletrucks] 235ci and 4BB Experiences

To: "Stephen" <slb1@humboldt1.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235ci and 4BB Experiences
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 08:20:27 -0500
Stephen,

    I think either one would be OK, but the 600 will probably have to be
re-jetted. The 500 and 600 models are priced about the same if you add the
electric choke, which comes standard on the 600. I would call Edelbrock tech
line for their recommendation.

    The Fentons should present no problem on either of your trucks, but you
might have to do some minor grinding on intake runners and/or header to
allow them to work together. If you have a spare head, you should try to get
all this worked out on the bench, it will be a lot easier than doing it in
the vehicle. Also, the 4-barrel intake might interfere with the shifter
arms. It will be real close. Finally, the fender brace rod might have to be
bent to clear the carb. Use heat on this rod before bending, or it will
snap.

    A couple of other observations, FWIW - Clifford makes a one-piece
intake/exhaust gasket that makes it easier to hang the manifolds and helps
to prevent leaks. Use port alignment rings and some Permatex Hi-temp sealer.
If mounting flanges on intake and headers are different thickness, have the
thicker one milled down to same thickness. Use studs instead of bolts on the
outboard exhaust ports, it makes it much easier to position the headers. If
you can find aircraft jam nuts for these studs, they will allow more
clearance at the rear, in the firewall cutout. That's a tight area.

    If you are buying the Clifford and Fenton stuff from Stovebolt Engine
Co, ask Mr. Langdon about possible interference and fitting problems, he may
be able to pre-fit the pieces and eliminate problem areas before shipping to
you. I also recommend using Stovebolt's billet exhaust clamp set. You can
use the stock "bow-tie" clamps, or the smaller ones from a 230/250 six, but
they will probably have to be ground down or cut to fit. Then they rust
unless painted.

    Sound like a lot o' work, but it's worth it for "That Sound"!

Jack / Winter Park FL