Re: [oletrucks] Painting small parts

To: "David" <David@gardener.com>, "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Painting small parts
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 22:42:22 -0800
Hi Deve,

I generally look for fresh plated or oxide (though these are not an
authentic finish for 50s era trucks) fastners.  But sometimes I have painted
them.  Usually don't prime.  I stick the ends in holes punched in cardboard
and spray the heads or get them with a brush, depending on how many there
are and how lazy I am.

You can also send them to a plater for replating. $$$  You can get a plating
kit from Eastwood or Caswell Plating (search for it on Yahoo).  I used the
Eastwood kit and was fairly satisfied, but I don't know if it would provide
a whole lot of corrosion protection.  I also used their oxide kit, with ok
results.  The ones Caswell sells look to be a notch or two better.

Regards,

Grant S. gls@4link.net