[oletrucks] More on removing VERY stuck pistons

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] More on removing VERY stuck pistons
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:50:03 EST
I haven't tried anything yet. I just wanted to know if the oxy/acetylene
method worked. Didn't know. The pistons have been soaking in kroil. I think I
might just try pressing them out through the bottom at work. I really don't
trust myself to not miss with a sledge.

Anybody got a good suggestion for removing the lifters? they're not nearly as
bad as the pistons, but there's no access to hit them out from the bottom
with the cam in the way. The cam is actually in very good shape and a perfect
candidate for regrinding so I don't want to destroy it either.

Overall, the engine isn't in that bad of shape. The block will need to be
decked and the crank ground and nitrided because of corrosion. I'm sure it
will take atleast a .060" overbore to clean up the cylinders, but the block
has the original bore. The main and rod bearings all look beautiful which
tells me this was prolly a very good running engine before it came into the
scrapyard in some trashed truck.

The guy told me it was a 1943 WWII 270, but I doubt it because it's machined
for a fuel pump and I don't see any extra bosses to indicate it's military
block. Which casting numbers would tell me when it was made? Thanks a million,

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons