[oletrucks] 350 Buick Engine vs Chevy

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 350 Buick Engine vs Chevy
From: "J Phipps" <phippsj@camalott.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:02:14 -0700
Hi all!  I haven't been working on my poor old 57 3600 in quite a while, but
now that summer's back, I'm ready to start again.  What I was hoping someone
could answer was, what would be the major downfalls to using a 78 Buick 350
engine instead of a Chevy 350?  I haven't found a good deal on a rebuildable
Chevy 350 (rodders all grabbing them up) locally, but have a chance to get a
good running Buick 350 from a 78 Century.  The tranny's bad, so it'll have
to be replaced.  My guess is that the trans from my old 283 won't swap over
to the Buick, and I'm afraid I'll get stuck having to pay too much to get a
good Buick tranny.  That's about the biggest problem I see for now.  Should
I keep looking for a rebuildable Chevy 350 or would the Buick engine be ok?
I'm doing this on a budget, so costs count.  Any suggestions or comments
would be greatly appreciated.
  Also, I've been subscribed to this list for over a year now.  Although I
seldom have occasion to offer my own advice (so many of ya'll know so much
more than me), I thoroughly enjoy reading all the advice, opinions, and just
about everything else.  Ya'll are a great bunch!  Thanks to all.

Jim Phipps, 57 3600