RE: [oletrucks] seat belts

To: "'Claude'" <cramey@dashlink.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] seat belts
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:30:32 -0500
I have the GEM belts in my 57 GMC with a small rear window.
My method would not work with a large rear window.

I am using bucket seats.  I drilled 1/2" holes in the
floorboard between the seats and in the rear vertical "step"
area.  From under the truck I then welded in a 4" x 4"
square "washer" I made from 1/4" steel to help distribute
the load if needed.

The trick was mounting the upper part of the belt.  I made a
cardboard template that followed the inside curve of the cab
between the door and the rear window.  Then I bent a piece
of 3/16" steel strap 14" long 1.5" wide to match that curve.
Drilled a 5/8" hole in the middle of the strap and welded
a 1/2" net to the outside of the curve aligned with the hole.

Then I drilled 3 holes in the cab along the horizontal line
that I made the cardboard template from.  The center hole was 5/8"
and to either side about 4 inches from center I drilled a
1/4" hole.  Be REAL careful with the drill (or use drill stops)
that you do not hit the outer wall of the cab.  Experience
speaking here.

Drop a string through the middle hole in the cab, out the
bottom of the two-wall area down to near the gas tank.  Thread
the string through the nut on the strap from the inside of
the curve and attach something to the string so you can't
pull the string back through.  Now pull the strap up into the
cab wall.  It takes a little playing with it, but eventually
I tack welded the strap to the cab through the 1/4" holes.
Then drop the string, install a 1/2" bolt (again, not too long)
in the center hole and touch up the tack welds if necessary.

All that is left is a little clean up of the welds and paint.

Seatbelts are not required by state law in Texas if the vehicle
was not originally equipped with belts.  The neat thing about
installing belts in my truck is that it now complies with
"Grandma's law", which is "If you want to take the grandkids
riding in your truck you gotta have belts."