Re: [oletrucks] No spark!

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] No spark!
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 22:48:10 -0500 (CDT)
To make a spark, there has to be the following:

1.  Positive voltage at the primary lead to the coil from the ignition switch

2.  A clean path from the coil to the points.

3.  Points and condenser that are working.

4.  A way for the high voltage to get from the coil to a spark plug.

Start here.  Measure the voltage from the ignition side of the coil to
ground.  There should be some, probably 6 volts or so on your truck, with
the key on.  If not, there is something wrong between there and the
battery.  Just a dumb question, is the ignition key turned on?

Measure the voltage at the points with the points open,  The spring side
should also be 6 volts or so with the ignition key on.  If not, there is
something wrong with the coil or wire to the distributor.

Prop the points open with a piece of cardboard or plastic.  Hook a jumper
wire to the hot (coil) side of the points.

Take out one plug wire and plug it into the coil.

Put a spare plug in the other end and ground it to the engine.

With the ignition key on, ground the jumper from the points to the engine.
You should see a spark on the plug.  If you don't, there is something wrong
with the coil or the condenser on the points.  Take the plastic out of the
points.

Change the points and condenser and set the points properly.

Look at the distributor cap inside and at the rotor for traces of water,
carbon, or bent metal on the spinner.  If you find anything suspicious,
change the cap.

Put the cap back on.  Leave one plug wire off its plug with the dummy plug
in.  Turn the engine over with the key on (it will turn over with the key
off on these trucks)  You should see a spark on the plug.  If not, plug the
loose plug wire into the coil again and see if you get a spark.  You almost
have to at this point.  If not, replace the high voltage wire between the
coil and the distributor.

Other than a totally shot set of plug wires, you can't help but have a
spark now.

Thanking God for every minute I spent with my Old Man working on these
things when they weren't such ole trucks

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN