RE: [oletrucks] more 5 speed questions

To: "Grant Galbraith" <trks@javanet.com>, "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] more 5 speed questions
From: "Gwyn Reedy" <mgr@mgrcorp.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 08:45:35 -0400
NV4500s go for about $1000 a pop, used. About 195 pounds too. Think of them
as a Granny 4 speed with an overdrive attached. Plan to have a large
transmission jack and several helpers.

For that kind of money you can probably come up with a used overdrive made
by US Gear or GearVendors or Laycock de Normanville. All of those are made
to fit behind an existing transmission. You'd need to be creative as they
are usually fastened to the transmission and made for an open driveline.

Haven't been following this message string intently so may miss your
motivation. If you want to do some heavy hauling in an AD, don't see how you
could beat the original 4 speed. With a heavy load you wouldn't need the
overdrive and there is that low speed first gear to get you started on
uphill grades. Of course when you are running errands you're still doing
about 3000 RPM at 50 MPH.

Don't mean to tell you what to do - you should do whatever pleases you. I'm
putting an NV4500 behind a GM 6.2 diesel in a 46 Chevy ton and a half with
19.5 inch tires and disk brakes. It'll haul heavy, and should cruise ok too.
4.63 rear end ratio, but with 32 inch tires and .75 overdrive should give
about 70 MPH at 2500 RPM.

Gwyn  Reedy
Brandon, FL
mailto:mgr@mgrcorp.com